Aggressive doe update.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
Well, we figured out why our doe wouldn't breed, and was aggressive to the buck! Dave noticed something moving around in the cage when he got home from work about an hour ago, and went to investigate. (Our quarantine is in the garage.) She had just delivered 5 nice size kits on the wire. I feel horrible!! We had no clue she was bred! The breeder we bought them from never said a word that there was even a remote chance she was bred, so these are probably her brothers offspring.

They had just been kindled, but they were somewhat cold. They were moving, and squeaking when we put them in the nestbox though. She hadn't pulled any fur, so we tipped her, and pulled some fur from her belly, enough to cover them. I have some fur on hand that I've saved, but it's white, and the doe and kits are black. Would she accept it, or freak out if I put white fur in there?

We also noticed she didn't feel like she had any milk in. I normally give them tums ahead of kindling, so I gave her half of one now, but it won't help her yet. Will her milk come in since she's kindled?

sometimes it takes a while for the milk to come in properly.

and no, she shouldn't have a problem with a different coloured fur in the box. at least mine never raise a stink.

Mine destroy strange fur in their nestbox. I had a doe who loved to build nests and would happily pluck herself bald building 3 or 4 nests before depositing any kits in them and she had a tendency for false pregnancy so I thought I would just keep her nests on hand for others. Good in theory but didn't work in practice. They either dug it out or I guess ate it because sometimes I'd find no fur anywhere even after digging around in the bedding for the lost fur. Nearly all the does I tried to give extra fur to pulled more fur of their own within a day or 2 anyway.

Sometimes rabbits will go as long as 48hrs before enough milk comes in for them to decide to feed their kits. Miyuki worried me with her first litter because of that but I found out it's not entirely uncommon and we didn't lose a single one despite the slow start.

Well, that sure accounts for her attitude! Don't blame yourself, Geri... You had no way of knowing. If the kits are warm enough, I'd just leave them be, since this doe sounds sensitive just now. It might be better to pluck more fur from her if necessary.

It does often take a little time for the milk to come in. She will likely feed them later today, if she hasn't already. Has she calmed down some, now that the kits have arrived?

Thanks for the info, it's really helpful, and appreciated! :) Hubby checked on them before he left for work, and they are all still alive, they warmed up nicely, and she pulled more fur for them. He said it seems like they were fed, but I'll be going out in about an hour, so I'll check them.

She's not a hyper doe, she's really very calm around us, it was just in with the buck she was so aggressive. But like you said Maggie, it all adds up now! :lol:

I had something similar happen to a new doe I got. I saw her pulling fur and piling hay so i gave her a nest box and sure enough, popples the next morning. I did not know she was bred either! I called the breeder and she said she thought I wanted her bred! Total miscommunication! Glad to hear that they are doing well...

They are all fed, she's doing great, and really is such a sweet doe!

Not the best picture, my cell phone camera is really awful, but they are such cute babies! It's so fun having something other than white!
IMG-20110928-00309-1-1.jpg

Back