Age of Sexual Maturity of Standard Sized Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
I have Standard Rex Rabbits, and am wondering what age they typically reach sexual maturity. I have 3 does that were 6 months old as of Nov. 14th, and I am wondering when they can be bred for the first time. On 10-31 I used an almost 5 month-old buck to service a senior doe, and he was ready and willing, as was a 5-1/2 month buck with another doe the following day... are they producing viable sperm at that age?

6-8months for the faster growing ones (rex is probably included) and closer to 8-10months for the slower breeds like the flemish and giant breeds. Some go by weight instead when determining when to breed. Now that is not the month they are capable of breeding but the age they are mature enough it will not have a negative impact on their health and growth. I've had 8week olds get bred. Bucks will be able to breed much sooner since it does not put a strain on their body like the does who are caring for kits. If they are attempting to breed they are probably capable of getting the does pregnant. Young bucks can be used on easily bred does but they may be too intimidated by more dominant or difficult does.

Back