Age Estimating?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
Not fully sure we're this post should go, but I figured since it's more of a curiosity thing it would be ok under ramblings. Anyway I recently got a number of rabbits, and though most of them I know their birthdays, one I do not. I was wondering if there was any way to estimate the age of a rabbit when you don't know how old they are. I would like to breed this rabbit as early as possible, but all I know is that she is young. I don't know how young though, and don't want to attempt to breed a rabbit that is too young to breed. Do any of you know a way to estimate age?

She is supposedly a Netherland dwarf/mini rex cross. That is litteraly all I was told about her. Going off my other dwarf though I'm going to assume she is 6 months when she first shows maturity and it physically ready for breeding <br /><br /> __________ Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:39 pm __________ <br /><br /> So seeing that my new doe is roughly the same size as my buck, I decided to pop her in my Buck's cage to see if he could induce her to ovulate (checking her color beforehand mind you). I was expecting her to just firmly plant her butt in a corner and frustrate him, and I'd check tomorrow for signs of ovulating. Well I put her in with him and turned around to count kits from my other house doe and make sure they are all ok. I didn't even reach the other doe's nest before I hear him get a fall off. Then she lifted for him a second time just after I turned back around!! With allowing two fall offs I'm going to assume she is of age now, and guestimate she is roughly 6 moths. She certainly looks more mature than when I got her, and she has grown rapidly. I'll put her back with him later this evening for another breeding, and see what happens in a month. Since she is a house rabbit I'm not worried about the litter being born in December. Here's hoping for the best!!

Latest posts

Back