Advice from other 4-Hers please!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
We live in TX and our livestock show for 4-h here is in January. We breed in Oct, for Nov babies. It is our first year in 4-h and with Californians as a breed. Would you recommend breeding literally on 10/15? I believe they need to be no older than 60 days old by the day of the show, and there is a weight limit, maybe 3-5 lbs or something I believe. People here are not really forth coming and excited to teach others, the competition is high!!!! I can get basic info from the extension office and have started participating in our local rabbit club (not thru 4-h), and its gotten us this far. We purchased the meat trio who took 4th place last year as our mom and dad, and the Buck has been inside to keep his bits nice and cool. When they are born and eating solid food do you measure it for them or just allow them free for all like I do my Hollands? Just want to get some idea for what will happen. 2 Does, 1 Buck, all looking good right now but none are proven breeders and are just about a year old. They are wild too! Excited to start the adventure with our 10 yr old!

If they are using ARBA meat classes, the max age is 70 days (10 weeks) and the weight limits are 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 lbs (which was just raised from 3-5 last year). Especially with Californians, you probably want ones as close to the maximum age as possible, so they has as much time to mature as you can get them. It varies depending on line though - normally it's best to watch the development of them to see which age is best, but for your first time, I'd try to go for maximum maturity. I just free fed my meat pens.

I appreciate what you said! I just don't want to go over the weight, but would LOVE to get them bred asap and this Buck outside! I am going to shoot for beeeding the week of 10/8. I will confirm the 70
Days and well as the date of the show and make sure I will be good if Breeding on that date. Do you weight or do anything specific during the growout time or just let nature do it all?

I weighed mine every day, and gave a bit of extra oats to the ones that needed to catch up to the others in weight.

4H uses the same rules as ARBA for meat pens, so Sable is right on the max age and weight. Like Sable, I recommend daily weigh-ins with oats to the ones that need to catch up. You want the least possible weight variance between rabbits in the meat pen.

With Cali's, I recommend looking for rabbits that are thick in the front shoulders. At our show, thin front shoulders and fur quality were the biggest knocks for points.

Also, if this show is the qualifier for your state fair, remember that you will have to take a different meat pen to the fair as this one will be too old. The purple ribbon for meat pen is mostly an award for management and effort and less for quality rabbits.

A grand champion or reserve champion meat pen trio can buy a lot of feed if you sell them at the show. I try to get the meat pen buck and meat pen does from different mothers to make it more attractive as a breeding trio.

Best of luck!

I know this is a side note, but when did rabbit breeding start in 4-H? I was big in to 4-H growing up and I never saw it here in Alabama. I don't know if it is something they do now or not. Thanks!

Back