Advice for someone new to showing rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houston

Reaction score
I'm planning to get into breeding rabbits for show, namely Silver Foxes, and was wondering if anyone has any resources that would be helpful. I've never shown animals before, so any advice would be very helpful!

I've looked around, but all the threads I found seem to be aimed at people who've had at least some experience showing, haha.

Are you in Houston? We are in Corpus and I can give you a name who we have found very helpful, she lives in Boling, TX.

This is a reply I shared with someone else, hopefully it helps you. :)

First, you can find show information by going to https://www.arba.net/showsSearch.php#showsearch
You can search by date and location to find something near-ish you. There is only 1 show within a thirty minute drive of me, the rest are 2+ hours. Depending on where you live, you may have nearby shows or you may have to drive to get there.

Sometimes the show catalog is available online, sometimes you need to call or email the show secretary (that info should be given in the link above when you search) to have one sent to you. The catalog will tell you the date, time, and location of the show. It also has information about show rules, vendors who will be there, judges, and more.

Most show people are very friendly and willing to help you out and you may find it easier to get to a show and learn as you go. If you're unfamiliar with what the Standard calls for in your breeds, ask your fellow exhibitors. Like I said, most people are willing to help newbies out. At your first show, I suggest entering just 1-2 rabbits of one breed so you can get the feel for how shows run without the pressure of trying to get several rabbits to the table at the right time. In the past, I had two different breeds and they were being shown at the same time on opposite ends of the showroom.

Once you decide which rabbits to show, be sure they each have an individual tattoo in the left ear. Submit your entry to the show secretary (usually by email). If you aren't sure what all to include, ask. Usually they need your name, email or phone #, address plus the ear #, breed, sex, and class of each rabbit.

Then, gather your supplies. Some basic supplies you'll need is a leak-proof carrier for each rabbit, water/food bowls for each carrier (often smaller than what you have at home since there will be limited space), a folding chair for yourself, and basic grooming tools (nail clippers, brush, etc). If you are planning to sell rabbits, make sure you take the pedigrees for those rabbits.

Arrive at least 20 minutes early on the morning of the show. You will need to find the check in table and pay for your entry fee. After that, find a clear spot and set up your carriers and chairs. You'll wait for your breed to be called to a certain table. There, the judge will evaluate each rabbit and compare it to the breed standard.

That is the very basics to get you started. Once again, most people are very friendly and can help you out. The first show I attended I entered a rabbit. It's the best way to learn, I think. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. A lot of the websites I learned the show process from have disappeared and I'm not sure of another good resource to direct you to.

I'd attend a show (there is a listing of shows on the ARBA website) and just watch first (or enter one or two rabbits) - it may seem a bit hectic, but it will give you a good idea of the showing process. I'd also try to find another Silver Fox breeder (or a breeder who used to do Silver Fox) near you that you talk to during and in between shows and ask questions. Or if there are none near you, I'd try searching for a Silver Fox group on facebook - there are quite a few breeders there who are often willing to help out any new people.

I got a book when i signed up for 4-h its called "the rabbit resource handbook" or something like that. It helped me out a lot and there is lots of other helpful things in there like sexing and breeding and things like that.

All good advice so far!! One of the things we love about showing rabbits is how friendly and helpful almost everyone in the rabbit community is to new comers! Once you locate the show catalog/flyer for the show you are interested in attending, there should be an email or contact info for the show secretary. Let them know you are interested in attending and that you are new to showing. Most secretaries will be happy to help you get your bearings and can share information specific to their show that may be of help!

Another thing that you may want to do is find out ahead of time if there are going to be any vendors set up at the show. If you need any supplies or equipment, it is nice to be able to purchase at a show instead of paying for shipping. One vendor that attends many shows (bunnyrabbit.com) will send out coupon codes to their email list before a show. If you pre-order before their deadline and pick it up at the show, you can save shipping and get an additional discount! If you aren't sure what you need, it is nice to have a little extra money set aside to purchase things while you are there. When we first started, we made it a practice to start buying one or two items at each show for our "emergency medical kit". Some items that are used to treat rabbit illnesses are hard to come by from local sources, so we started buying a little at a time to keep on hand.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back