Adopted our first rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisy23

Reaction score
My family adopted a rabbit this weekend and he is such a joy to have already. I am curious what kind of rabbit he is though. Could you give me your opinion? I have 2 photos of him below. He is very big, I would say approx. 12-15lbs.

I am calling today to set up an appointment for the vet to get him neutered. I am unsure of his age or history but based on his size I believe he is an adult. I am open to any tips or advice you can give as we start out on this journey.
Des and Bugs.jpg

Bugs.jpg

My first thought was Flemish Giant, until I saw the lopped ears. So maybe Flemish cross. French Lop, maybe?

He's a handsome boy, and you are gorgeous! :) Welcome to RabbitTalk!

Flemish can get over 20 pounds, though a cross probably wouldn't.

Id say a French Lop.

They must be over 10 pounds but have no maximum weight restriction and he has a lot of a purebreds characteristics - very heavy bone density, big blocky head, lots of extra skin

The only thing that looks a bit off are that his ears are too far back on this head but poor crowns are common in most lop breeds

He looks like a french lop to me too. They can get quite large.
I think swept back crowns are much cuter than forward ones. :D

Maybe not a breeders first choice, but certainly an adorable pet!!

Thank you everyone for such fast responses!! I thought he looked a bit like a French Lop but wasn't positive. Poor guy isn't eating or drinking much, I'm hoping it's just scared at the moment and will warm up to us soon.

Rabbits can easily become stressed with caging, family, and food changes.
Just put him in a quiet room with his water and food available, and hopefully he will warm up to his new home soon :)

I have recently bought both a French Lop and a giant Flemish rabbit for my son, and your bunny looks like a cross breed of those two. Those two make adorable pets and do not take long to warm up. Our two started doing binkies and flops within three to four weeks, which means they are happy and content. I am no expert, but maybe feeding your r :D abbit a bit of lettuce or cucumber etc. by hand will make sure that he associates you with something positive. I wish you lots of happy days with your beautiful bunny!

Be very careful with the treats. Start slowly, so you don't upset the tummy. :)

Try to avoid iceberg lettuce. It can sometimes cause diarrhea.

You can also partially cover the rabbit's cage to help it settle in.

Welcome to RT!
There is lots of great info on this forum so read up! :D
I soak up the stuff on this forum like a sponge, everyone is so helpful, and there are countless amounts of great wisdom here!

And I agree with the others, looks like a English lop, Flemish cross....but could be a pure English Lop....they can get up to around 13lbs. Most likely a cross though....notice any tattooing in the ear?

French lop is my thoughts... or a cross. It's really impossible to say for sure unless he's tattooed.

Black chinchilla is his colour.

Latest posts

Back