adjusting feed from grow-out to young breeder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Responding to the question about whether to increase feed during the winter brought to mind a related question. We free feed grow-outs and we limit feed for our breeding does (except when they're nursing) and buck. The advice to check along the spine has let us keep everyone at a good weight for breeding. But what about the youngsters we didn't send to freezer camp but kept for breeding next season? The 2 proven does we use now weren't ready to breed until they were about 7 months old (I know that is later than many folks say, but we also take 12 weeks instead of 8 for our meat mutts to get to 5 pounds without pellets)
So we want these young does to be ready to breed early in the spring and they were born right at the end of August. We haven't started checking their backs each week yet, but probably should soon. And maybe weigh them to see when they get close to adult weight (8 to 9 pounds so far for us). We don't want them to put on fat that could interfere with breeding. How do the wise ones on here handle this transition?

I start limiting feed as soon as a rabbit is in its own separate cage, and I give young ones the same amount of feed that I give an adult. My rabbits usually make sr weight by weaning time, though, so what I do might not reflect what works in other herds

I follow the wise Grumpy's advice and free feed until 14 weeks and then cut back. That is in addition to the regular greens provided. Since I have started this, I have had only one breeding miss, and it was not due to weight issues.

after they get weaned and moved from mom .... kits get same portion as the adults.
I give them the 1 cup portion per bunny in the group grow out pens. (5 bunnies=5cups)

The bunnies that have their own cage don't often catch up to that portion for a month or so... so I have to sometimes skip a cup every couple of days.
The group pen empties every day...

Latest posts

Back