Adding molasses

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dearsrock

Reaction score
I have been mixing 4 parts oats to 1 part each barley, wheat, BOSS. I have some rabbits eating everything and some not eating at all except to pick out the BOSS. I was thinking of adding molasses, but the idea of mixing and the mess, ugh! I was thinking of adding a tablespoon or so to a pint of water and mixing that into the 3 gal bucket with the mixture. How do you guys handle this type of picky eating? Is molasses even the answer?

Renee

first off...I want your dog that's in your avatar. :D Now that that's settled...

Oats are not a real tasty treat for rabbits, I don't think. They're always the very last thing that's left in my rabbit's dishes. With some rabbits it seems to help if the oats are cracked or crimped (slightly crushed). what you could do, if you have the time, is take some of your oats and sprout them. Feed that. My finicky eaters love them that way.

I'm not sure I'd start to add sugar into the feed. Sounds like a slippery slope. Are they getting alfalfa hay? If so, they really don't need a whole lot of grains. (make sure they're getting enough minerals and salts tho...mineral block or wheel)

The other thing I've found that helps (other than changing the diet completely) is to stimulate the hunger with some greens. Even a few sprigs of parsley or a romaine leaf sometimes does the trick. You may have things growing outside already...grab a few dandelions and give it a try.

I have a BOSS/OATS mix that I give as a HOT feed (they get an ounce of it in a separate dish than the pellets)
some will eat only the BOSS, others the oats, some both.

Blackstrap molasses - the real stuff - can be used in moderation. Don't confuse it with the fancy molasses from the grocery store. One suggestion I heard was to mix blackstrap molasses with Apple cider vinegar in a squirt bottle and just add as dash to the top of the feed as a supplement. Blackstrap has a lot of nutrients, but it is sweet, so give it some thought before jumping in. I'd try Ann's suggestions first.

Hot feed, eh? I may try that with the underweight angora buck I have.

I like that ACV with blackstrap, too. I wonder if that might not be a great thing for taking rabbits on the road? long distances or to multi=day shows, where you have different tasting water. Get them used to the ACV/blackstrap and they won't taste any differences in the waters?

"first off...I want your dog that's in your avatar. Now that that's settled..." And I bet you might even know what breed she is since the Westminister :) She was/is my first. I got a little crazy and got some more since then.

The buns are getting good alfalfa, free feeding. I tried the molasses in very small quantities (like that spray bottle idea!), but it didn't work. Maybe they just don't need it. Funny how two litters, same age one cage cleans the feeder out the other maybe eats 1/4 of it. Weight is fine, I'm just concerned for a fairly good balanced diet. Oh yea, they have the mineral/salt blocks.

Renee
S CA

dearsrock":6gfvs30m said:
"first off...I want your dog that's in your avatar. Now that that's settled..." And I bet you might even know what breed she is since the Westminister :) She was/is my first. I got a little crazy and got some more since then.

The buns are getting good alfalfa, free feeding. I tried the molasses in very small quantities (like that spray bottle idea!), but it didn't work. Maybe they just don't need it. Funny how two litters, same age one cage cleans the feeder out the other maybe eats 1/4 of it. Weight is fine, I'm just concerned for a fairly good balanced diet. Oh yea, they have the mineral/salt blocks.

Renee
S CA

Be this a Deerhound?! I wanted one, showed pictures to my husband and heard "Ew, why?"
Off topic, in the event that I was lucky and stumbled upon one and brought the pooch home, would he chew up the chickens?

Anyways, molassas works great. My rabbits love it and will eat anything thats vaguely coated in molassas.<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:19 pm __________<br /><br />
MaggieJ":6gfvs30m said:
Blackstrap molasses - the real stuff - can be used in moderation. Don't confuse it with the fancy molasses from the grocery store. One suggestion I heard was to mix blackstrap molasses with Apple cider vinegar in a squirt bottle and just add as dash to the top of the feed as a supplement. Blackstrap has a lot of nutrients, but it is sweet, so give it some thought before jumping in. I'd try Ann's suggestions first.

Then again, I kind of really like this idea and might just start doing this.

Instead of using Black strap molasses,
why not just as some Sweet-feed to the mix?
This is what I do in the winter.
I add BOSS, Sweet-feed a dash of Cracked corn and Rolled oats.
It is mixed with thew pelleted feed in a large bucket and
the rabbits eat everything. As always, everything in moderation.
Moderation is the key!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I had noticed with the last batch that they were picking around the oats also, which I though was odd. So this time I got the oats crimped with molasses, and they seem to be eating it better. Only problem now is with them picking out the oats and it falling through the bottoms, and the wet week we had, the oats are sprouting on the ground lol. Not that much of a problem, because they do love those sprouts.

"Be this a Deerhound?! I wanted one, showed pictures to my husband and heard "Ew, why?"
"Off topic, in the event that I was lucky and stumbled upon one and brought the pooch home, would he chew up the chickens?"

Depends :) I have some that ignore the buns and chicken completely except to eat the berries and the feed. And I have one that loves the chase and to rip the feathers out, thank goodness he hasn't done any real harm. I actually had to rearrange my yard so that there where two fences btwn them b/c he was somehow luring them into his run. And then there was that day he brought a live chicken into the living room, I let you imagine the chaos with 6 dogs and a chicken. Thank goodness the chicky was smart enought to let me catch it, WHEW! He's pretty good on the cottontails too.

Anyways, back to feed, thanks for the ideas. Seems that since it got cold the last few days, they are eating more. But I like the ACV idea and the sweetfeed. Just need to mull them over a bit.

Renee
S CA

That Deerhound at Westminster was incredible!!! The action on him was out of this world. To be honest I think that hound was the closest example to the standard of perfection (of anything) I have ever seen.

There are 2 ways to add calories and taste to your home made feed. Molasses and soy oil.
To use molasses you need to understand it. Not all molasses is the same. What is normally used for animal feed is also pretty darn good for human consumption and what is most often used in cooking. There are many nutritional benefits, however to much can break down the kendneys. *sp* Use it sparingly but don't be afraid to use it.

Soy oil is a wonderful product and can be bought for livestock in flavors. My cattle love the butterscotch.

then you have the combo.. Liquid protein. This is my favorite. You get the best of both worlds. Its molasses and soy oil combines. You cut the harmful effects of to much molasses with the calories that soy oil offers. don't panic with soy oil, I know people that bake cookies with this stuff. Its safe. If you can find a feed store that carries the liquid ALL NATURAL protein and will sell you a gallon, thats wonderful! If not find someone with cattle and ask to dip a gallon out of their tubs. They will probably just give it to you.

To mix in feed remember you can and will cause diariah if you mix this to much. You need to use it lightly. So lightly you can't tell the feed is wet.. it needs to still appear dry.

I hope this helped.

I have no idea.. I know that when I order 100lbs of liquid protein, the main ingredients are soy oil and Mollassas.. I will have to call the feed store to get that answer.. as its all natural, and not animal protine.. so.. I really don't know. Good question.

I found that soaking whole oats to soften them made them palatable to the rabbits. The same is true of Safflower seed (Loads of nice EFA in that!) I also bought the best quality oats I can get--
But now, I found Seminole Wellness for Senior Horses to be a wonderful addition for calories and overall supplementation for my buns. Lots of herbal stuff and moist--I feed in a separate dish so I can control how much the rabbit eats as part of the total diet-One rabbit will eat anything I put in front of her, the other refuses to eat anything other than the Wellness if she has a choice! So, needless to say, she goes without the Wellness on a fairly regular basis-- I want that hay and pellet in her, along with the fresh foods! The Wellness does have whole oats in it- they are not being ignored.

I did find that blackstrap- about 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water, was great for winter time energy for the rabbits that were exposed to the harsher areas of the rabbit tarp. And the lactating mothers also seemed to produce more milk if they got a few ounces of the mix on a daily basis.<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:35 pm __________<br /><br />just did a quick search on liquid protein for cattle- found an interesting article-

anyway, molasses produced from sugar cane grown on organically rich soil actually does provide some proteins.(4-7%) (more than chemically enhanced soils) In the supplements, UREA is used to help boost the protein levels, and at the same time, limit the intake- The fats (corn or soybean oil) combined with the itty bitty bit of protein enhance gains in growing cattle, and help improve milk production. SOME of the liquid protein supplements have cottonseed meal, blood meal or feather dust as an additional source of protein,(excuse me, see a problem here?) An 'agent' is added to keep things from settling out when mixed with the water supply. The dose is less than 1% of total body weight.

Those poor Moles!
How many Molasses does it take to make a gallon of that liquid? :mbounce:
Sorry but I just couldn't control my typing finger!

okay- more on this-- the proteins in the supplements are to feed the digestive bacteria-- the bacteria then flourish, making it possible for them to digest forage more completely- releasing more of the plant proteins into the animals digestive system.
So the supplement doesn't need a super large amount of protein to work-- the supplement feeds the gut bacteria, the gut bacteria work better, the animal gets more benefit from it's vegetative feed.<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:47 pm __________<br /><br />
ottersatin":222yp1ll said:
Those poor Moles!
How many Molasses does it take to make a gallon of that liquid? :mbounce:
Sorry but I just couldn't control my typing finger!

10 to the 23rd power

Latest posts

Back