Adding molasses

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, Terry... but I gotta tell you there is no way I'd feed it to rabbits. And it really has no role in a natural feeding program anyway, where we are trying to feed natural whole foods as much as possible. Still, good to know about these things... Thanks for doing the research. ;)

Ottersatin, you are BAD. I've got a joke for you. I'll post it in Coffee Table.

MaggieJ":196n65h0 said:
Interesting, Terry... but I gotta tell you there is no way I'd feed it to rabbits. And it really has no role in a natural feeding program anyway, where we are trying to feed natural whole foods as much as possible. Still, good to know about these things... Thanks for doing the research. ;)

well, you were questioning the 'source' of proteins and protein levels in the liquid- so I went a-hunting!!! I, for one, don't like the idea of feeding blood meal or feather dust to a herbivore-- just ain't right-- that's how "Mad Cow' diseases get started!!! And when I think of it, I don't recall ever seeing deer eat a cotton seed pod- open or closed!

these little research forays are something I really like to do-- keeps me mentally stimulated, without triggering obsessive thinking.

ottersatin":3vazqpjt said:
Those poor Moles!
How many Molasses does it take to make a gallon of that liquid? :mbounce:
Sorry but I just couldn't control my typing finger!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:
:rotfl: Oh, my gracious, you are so, so bad! Bad, bad, bad! :rotfl:

The 4H kids used too add molasses to the water of steers too fatten them up.careful though too much causes diahhrea.

Oh Gosh golly,
now I really feel ashamed!
I may never post anything I think is funny or in jest ever again!
Ottersatin. [Hanging head in corner with face to the wall!] :twisted:

I've always abided by a simple rule. Trust the wisdom of your rabbits. If they are given a wide choice of forage they will choose the diet that is best for them. Adding things like molasses can ruin that ancient wisdom just as feeding children candy will upset their choice of diet. Always remember however that forage will vary depending on the time of year and health of the soil it came from. If the soil the forage came from is low in (for instance) calcium, the forage from that soil will also be deficient in that mineral.

Maggie.. I don't know.. what I do know is those are the main ingredients in my mix? I don't mix it.. I just buy it and trust in my feed man and Iowa state UV.. So far.. its worked.

If the mix is just soy oil and molasses, the minor amounts of the proteins supplied by the molasses is all it needs to boost the ability of the animals digestive system to extract more protein from it's feed. Sort of like calcium being needed to be combined with phosphorous in order to make bone.If the protein levels in the mix are boosted by 'meals', you may be feeding animal protein to your herbivore.

If the main ingredients are molasses and soy oil, I think it is a misnomer to call it "liquid protein". IaJewel, you are a lot more trusting than I am about feeding feeding it when you do not know the ingredients. I'm a little surprised because in other respects you seem to favour a natural approach. In any case, a manufactured product of this type does not really have a place in a natural diet for rabbits.

If you think your bunrabs need help with beneficial bacteria in their intestinal tract you can always boost it as you do your own; with a tablespoon or so of live yogurt. Most rabbits wil gobble it up. I wouldn't feed it on a regular basis but a small dab a couple times a year should be OK.

hoodat":1ie5dmya said:
If you think your bunrabs need help with beneficial bacteria in their intestinal tract you can always boost it as you do your own; with a tablespoon or so of live yogurt. Most rabbits wil gobble it up. I wouldn't feed it on a regular basis but a small dab a couple times a year should be OK.
I don't understand; if soybeans are a bad source of protein then why would protein from animal (milk) be better? I always thought beans were a good source of vegetable protein? It's always been recommended for human vegetarians....

From what I have read, roasted soybeans are a good source of protein but must be limited in a rabbit's diet because they can cause digestive problems in large quantities. As one of many ingredients, they are probably fine. I do not like feeding animal products to herbivores. I guess I would do it in an emergency situation (such as a kindling rabbit in need of a calcium boost and nothing else available) but not as a regular thing.

Yes, I agree Lauren... but we're not exactly around the corner from a store here and I can imagine a situation where I have yogourt in the house, but no TUMS - or the other way around. You use what's available.

Back