Adding Dwarf breeds?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonSpiritMom

Reaction score
I've had some people ask if my meat breed kits are for sale as pets. I could sell them as that since i handle them and they are used to people. but I'm wondering if maybe getting into dwarf breeds for this purpose is a better idea?

Anyone start out with meat breeds and switch or add dwarfs for pets later?

It would only be a breeding pair right now.

I think that's up to you. Larger breeds typically need really big cages that most people don't want (they generally will buy the standard cages you see in pet shops, most of which are small, though lately larger cages have become more available). They are better for kids though I'd say because they aren't as fragile and generally you don't want young kids carrying around rabbits. Smaller breeds people prefer as pets for obvious reasons. I think you should outline that your rabbits will get large, what they will look like if people are interested in them. If you think there is a good market in your area for some dwarf rabbits I'd dive into it for sure.

My Kits currently will be 9-12 lbs full grown. (I have flemish/nz and Cali/flem crosses)

They can handle a bit more picking up and lugging around by small children.. as evidence by the fact that i have small children.

They were for Meat.... but so many families have come to visit me to see the rabbits that now i have people asking. My rabbits aren't special in any way. They don't have pedigrees, are not show quality at all.. they are just happy, healthy mutts honestly.

But i impart all the knowledge i have on rabbits and know litter fairly well. (not to well since they will be food at some point)

My only issue with moving to drawf sizes is that.. we got into rabbits as a project to help feed my family... dwarfs can't really do that. the only reason i would have them would be to sell as pets. of course i will research breeds and see it fall in love with one and want to further the breed. They would bring me joy and happiness.. and that is pretty much it. So I'm still working out the reasons to have them.

I think with a nice pair of dwarfs you could easily break even if not make money. Most dwarf rabbits have very small litters, generally 2-5 kits, so there isn't going to be a large amount of them coming out of a pair at a time. If there aren't many people selling dwarf rabbits and you live close to a town it might be worth your while. The cage size is a lot smaller too for them as well.
If you go with a more middle sized breed you can still eat them as well, I know dutch are very popular for this because they are a bit larger.

We have done really well with our Hollands this year. Had 18 babies between 3 moms (one had 8, other had 7, and 3rd had 4), and have sold all but 3 now for $50 each.....you can do the math:) Really pleased. It will take some money to keep them going, but if we can continue to have nice litters and offer quality pet rabbits we will be successful! We do have 3 does and a buck. I would suggest getting at trio to start with, so that you have some fall back if one set doesn't work out. Dwarf breeds can be trickier at times, and some have stretched kits or peanuts often. Starting with at least a couple of Does and One buck I believe will up your chances for success. I also suggest you keep your meat breeds. Its possible to get a bad combo and it can get really frustrating, so keeping the meat breeds will help with your mental state, lol, and give you some success if there is failure. We will be doing the opposite and adding some meat buns for 4-h, and I hope that transition is an easy one too....good luck to you!

I have Rex and French Angoras, and for the most part, I make it clear I do not sell the larger breeds for pets. I didn't buy them specifically for selling as pets, but because they had more color varieties than my large breed did. When I had the hollands they supported the rabbitry. Now I have only the JW, and probably because of the wool, they don't sell as well. But they don't take up much room, and they are the cutest things.

Back