Abscess?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
I noticed tonight that one of my young FlemishX does has a lump, about the size of a golf ball, in her dewlap. It is quite firm, not attached to the tissue underneath as I can move it around quite freely inside the dewlap. The doe seems quite healthy otherwise, eating and drinking well, eyes are bright, fur is in good condition, body weight is normal.

Anybody ever have one of these? Any suggestions on treating it? If it was a goat, I would wait until it started losing hair, before lancing it, but not sure if that is the protocol for rabbits.

If she's eating, drinking and it doesn't seem to bother her, you could wait a few days to see if it grows closer to the surface for lancing.

I've seen dewlap abscesses before and they clean up nicely once lanced and irrigated with hydrogen peroxide. The trick, of course, is getting TO the abscess through all that loose skin.... :(

Also check the cage and J-feeders for sharp edges that might have cut the dewlap. In my case there was a bent corner of a J-feeder that she was chinning.

Any suggestions on restraining a large rabbit while attacking it with a scalpel? :shock: Without being eviscerated?

I didn't see any scrapes on her chin/neck, but they could have healed up long ago, by the size of this thing.

I will leave it for a bit longer as she does seem to be perfectly happy and healthy otherwise.

Half Caper Farm":3riwxhl2 said:
Any suggestions on restraining a large rabbit while attacking it with a scalpel?
I would try the bicillin first. A lot easier to get a rabbit to hold still for a short needle stick than for a long surgical session. And I would NOT leave it alone. An abcess is an infection, and it CAN spread to the rest of the rabbit and kill it.

Half Caper Farm":r846fbih said:
Any suggestions on restraining a large rabbit while attacking it with a scalpel? :shock: Without being eviscerated?

The doe that had the dewlap abscess was a mature red NZ several years old, so probably about 11 pounds. I just set her on the table and opened up the abscess with one quick slice. She never so much as twitched an eye until I started flushing it.

Back