A shearing tutorial?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Is it possible for one of you WONDERFUL French Angora owners could do a shearing tutorial?

As one of my first litter out of FA x Rex parents has exploded with fur, it might be nice to know what to do with the little fluff ball.

Other than breed for more, that is! :lol:

You know I actually do! I used to shear my angoras with grooming scissors.

I'd start down the back and carfully take as little clump of fur, rest the scissors over the back and fold the fur over the open scissors then clip. this way you're not going to clip the rabbit. I've started to pluck the fur with a flea comb it seems to work just as well it just takes longer.

leon_gets_a_hair_cut_by_trickster_of_asgard-d64qa8o.jpg

Our young FA is molting his first coat and has matted something chronic so my son was clipping him with scissors and, yep, cut him.

Argh!

So clippers might be best.

I don't find the folding over scissor method 100% reliable. Tender parts of the rabbit's skin are very loose and can fold right over the scissor, too. And, closing the scissor can force a small amount more into the blades than you planned.

I locate the skin, put my forefinger and middle fingers together just above the skin as to place skin below and wool above. Then I cut above my fingers. This way I can never cut the skin. You end up with a 1/4 or so cut, but no shorter. If I need to go shorter because of matting, I gently pick or comb at the mat to free some space between the mat and the skin, then carefully cut as close to the mat as possible.

Back