A question about feeding hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny love

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I hope I posted this in the right place. I've been feeding my junior bunnies and my doe alfalfa hay and they seem to only eat the green leafy part and leave the longer stalks. Is this normal? Should I not add more until they eat all of it? They are wasting a lot. My doe will eat a hole right through the middle just to get all of the green stuff that falls to the bottom of the bowl. They all seen to loose interest in it once the green leaves are gone. does anyone else have this problem?

Rabbits will do this...but-- my answer is a little complicated.. If your rabbits are still getting pellets... then "letting them clean up " before adding more hay is probably a good idea .. However, if they are not getting pellets-- the leaf is the most nutritious part of the alfalfa hay, so they will need the leaf to maintain weight.
----When I have this problem when free feeding pellets,[to growing rabbits, or does with litters] - it leads me to suspect that the pellet I am feeding, is not providing either the protein, or - the energy the rabbits require. So I look closely at the pellet --
Sometimes, manufacturers do not make the pellets as they should - IE: a "complete feed"..... or-- maybe you are feeding a "low protein", or maybe a "low energy" pellet, -- or-a pellet designed for "pet rabbits" [who tend to become obese] .

I free feed manna pro complete. It is a 16% protein pellet. It's about the best I can get. I can special order manna pro grow from tractor supply, It's a 18% pellet and is really the ideal pellet for French lops but tractor supply doesn't carry it in store anymore. All of the brands in the store are 16% protein. I guess it might be worth it to special order the 18%. My senior bucks and doe were all raised on the 18% pellet and grew really well. My doe weighs 14 pounds and just turned 1 year old. my bucks are all 12 and 13 pounds. My babies have been raised on the 16% and at 13 weeks they all weigh 7 to 8 pounds, but they also get unlimited alfalfa hay and oats, and cheerios as a treat. They are probably more spoiled than they should be...LOL. Thanks for the reply michaels4gardens! I think instead of giving fresh hay every day I might try every other day and see if they will eat some of the stalks.

Latest posts

Back