A new "want" - Highland Cows

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got to see a Highland cow in person yesterday and they are very handsome/beautiful animals! We have a ranch in a neighboring city with animals from 6 different continents - all free and accessible! Kind of crazy! We did a group wagon ride to feed the animals (http://lazy5ranch.com/). The HCs were my favorites along with the Rheas (smaller than an Emu). I was surprised to find 3 for sale in VA on CL... $2900 for the trio which is about what I expected. Definitely something a little different than the standard cows you find roaming the pastures in our area. Not sure if it would ever actually be feasible for us, but it's on my radar for the future!

I had a highland bull for a few years, until he started jumping our 5' fences and we had to put him in the freezer

He was the calmest most gentle cow I've ever worked with and certainly the best trained

But

Their coat needs quite a bit of maintenance and grooming (which my guy TOTALLY loved having done ;) ) to prevent the fur knotting up. He would also get hot spots/rot spots, especially in the spring, and I had to watch out for fry stike setting in. Our pastures were also a bit too rich for his digestion and he had to have fibrous hay all summer to prevent scours which I've not had problems with in other breeds I've raised (Galloway (also a fence jumper :x ) angus, red poll X limo)

I have loved the idea of them ever since reading the Lillian Beckwith's books about the Hebridean Islands. :D

Wow on the jumping though :x and soooooo not for Florida! :lol:

Back