A new use for 14 week old roosters

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
At my daughters request I butchered 8 of our 14 week old roosters so that every one could have their own personal roasted chicken. And while they were small they were at least three times the size of a quail so I figured, why not? So I set up a big stock pot with simmering water and scalded them in the kitchen, and yes, AFTER dispatching them. :roll: :lol:

Anyway, after doing the work I was very pleased to find they were utterly FANTASTIC!!!!

Not roostery at all but with a good, strong, chicken taste. And tender.

So all of the rest of that batch are now going to go into the freezer as personal pan chickens instead of being kept for the capon experiment, esp. as I havnt had a chance of getting my tools yet.

That can wait for a bit now as the spare roos will just go to freezer camp sooner than they start fighting or getting tough.

Oh, they were a mix of breeds, buff orpington, rir and barred rock and they all were good so my barnyard mix hatched from our own eggs should be as good.

Miss M":ab18wyok said:
Oh, now that's cool! :p

Yeh, the loaded plates were really funny with a chicken on each. My daughter was soooooo happy!

So am I, next week will see all the rest of that batch put into the freezer! :twisted:

They have juuuuust started to look boyish but not to act it yet so the perfect time.

Back