A New Addition- Please read

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziegfeldbunny

Reaction score
i'm new here so please correct me if something like this has already been posted ! :")
i got a new baby about three days ago, i usually do like to adopt bunnies that need homes but this little angel lost her mother (she died after giving birth) and she's four and a little bit weeks old and i saw her and knew i had to rescue her ):
theda.PNG
i want to do my best to make sure she is as healthy and happy as possible; she's pooping and peeing regularly and she's drinking and eating, too

i have a few q's about her and how i can make sure i'm taking care of her to the best of my potential :bunnyhop:

xdo i have to feed her pellets? the place i got her from was feeding her a brand called "wag" so i purchased that and i've been giving that to her because i read online that changes in diet can be bad
xwhat should her poop look like? sometimes she'll poop and it'll be normal size and normal looking but it'll have a thing coming from it (see my beautifully drawn image below)
ay.png
xhow can i make sure she's safe? i et scared because she's so little that she's going to get ill and i want to know how i can prevent bad things from happening?

again, i have adopted all of my babies even my dog and cat are adopted so please don't think i'm a terrible person for getting her when she was so young i just couldnt bare letting her go to someone that doesn't have experience with bunnies
i have another one and he is so happy and healthy <3

i hope everybunny has a good day xox

Welcome to RabbitTalk, ziegfeldbunny! :welcome:

At four weeks, your bunny is old enough to be weaned, and if you are feeding the same brand of pellet as she is used to, there is no reason to expect problems. I once had to wean a kit at 17 days (Too long a story to tell) and he grew up fine and healthy. If and when you do change the brand, make a gradual transition from the old feed to the new. All changes in rabbit diet should be gradual.

In addition to the pellets and water, some grass-hay (Timothy hay and orchard grass hay are both good) is excellent for her digestive system.

Keep her at a comfortable temperature - not too hot - and keep her out of drafts. Handle her, but don't keep her out of the cage for long periods of time, especially at first. Avoid very noisy environments for her and anything frightening.

All this is just common sense . . . and you have experience with young animals. so sit back and enjoy her. If you hit a problem, we are here to help. :)

:good-luck:

Is it hair sticking out of the poop? If so, I'd start giving the bunny as much timothy hay as she can eat (which I'd do anyway at this age), it helps them pass the hair easier.
Definitely don't try to switch brands or type of food at this age. Keep her on those brand of pellets. You can try switching brands once she is older (3-4 months), but I'd try to keep her on some type of pellet even then. The best pellets are usually the ones sold at feed stores (meant to be a complete diet) rather than those sold at pet stores (where often they can sell with their pretty packaging or stuff, as most pet owners aren't as picky about reading feed percentages and ingredients)
She's really cute, and I hope you have good luck with her.

MaggieJ":3t39dqge said:
Welcome to RabbitTalk, ziegfeldbunny! :welcome:

At four weeks, your bunny is old enough to be weaned, and if you are feeding the same brand of pellet as she is used to, there is no reason to expect problems. I once had to wean a kit at 17 days (Too long a story to tell) and he grew up fine and healthy. If and when you do change the brand, make a gradual transition from the old feed to the new. All changes in rabbit diet should be gradual.

In addition to the pellets and water, some grass-hay (Timothy hay and orchard grass hay are both good) is excellent for her digestive system.

Keep her at a comfortable temperature - not too hot - and keep her out of drafts. Handle her, but don't keep her out of the cage for long periods of time, especially at first. Avoid very noisy environments for her and anything frightening.

All this is just common sense . . . and you have experience with young animals. so sit back and enjoy her. If you hit a problem, we are here to help. :)

:good-luck:

she had some soft poop and i think it was because the food she had at the pet store/has at home now has peas and vegetables in it so i decided to slowly remove those and leave the actual pellets and it seems to have helped a lot along w her hay

you've definitely helped me so much, thank you <3

-- Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 am --

SarniaTricia":3t39dqge said:
Welcome and you seem to be doing all the right things...
She looks like a pretty little Dwarf.. make sure you handle her daily so she doesn't go wild on you... :) My step-daughter just got her first house bunny and she loves him.

thank you so much! she's beautiful and so so lovely, she loves jumping onto her little cardboard house in her cage <3 he's so cute omg omg she's one lucky girl :love: :bunnyhop: <br /><br /> -- Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:09 pm -- <br /><br />
SableSteel":3t39dqge said:
Is it hair sticking out of the poop? If so, I'd start giving the bunny as much timothy hay as she can eat (which I'd do anyway at this age), it helps them pass the hair easier.
Definitely don't try to switch brands or type of food at this age. Keep her on those brand of pellets. You can try switching brands once she is older (3-4 months), but I'd try to keep her on some type of pellet even then. The best pellets are usually the ones sold at feed stores (meant to be a complete diet) rather than those sold at pet stores (where often they can sell with their pretty packaging or stuff, as most pet owners aren't as picky about reading feed percentages and ingredients)
She's really cute, and I hope you have good luck with her.

i think it was hair sticking out of it tbh thank you so much for the advice! i know that the food i'm currently feeding her has 16. something %
and i got in touch w someone at the company about the pellets; they're "grass, some wheat, oats, beet pulp, maize, rapeseed oil and some vitamins and minerals", is this suitable for her?
i just want her 2 be healthy i feel like i just had a baby :pancake:

Back