A Little Advice About Poop?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyAuntie

Reaction score
So, for the past week or two Roo seems to be pooping less and they are a bit smaller. I was starting to switch his food (slowly) so I thought that was it and started to switch him back (again very slowly). He's eating fine, acting like his usual goofy self :bunnyhop: and he IS pooping, just not as much as usual. The poops seem a bit smaller, and darker. He has plenty of water, and he's peeing fine. He is a bit fussy about hay so I've been trying to 'pick out' his favorite bits so he'll eat more. He gets lettuce (romaine) a baby carrot and a piece of green pepper everyday.
The seasons are finally changing here, could that have anything to do with it? Last Friday we had a high of 82F today the expected high is 58F!
I read on here that dandelion greens help, how much should I give him? He weighs about 8-10lbs. Can they eat the flowers? Will they help too? Is there anything else I can do to help him? I'd like to take care of this before it gets worse.
Who know one little bunny's behind could cause so much worry! TIA

All parts of the dandelion (except perhaps the seeds, not sure about them) are edible for rabbits. Since your bun is not accustomed to them, start with one plant and work it up from there. Dandelions are mildly laxative and should help your rabbit. Diminished size of droppings is frequently a sign of impending GI problems. Please act quickly to avoid the risk of a worsening problem.

Incidentally, dandelions and various other safe weeds are far better for your bun than romaine, carrots and green pepper. After you have worked up the quantity of weeds, you might want to look at reducing the vegetables to occasional treats. Carrots, especially, are quite high in sugar.

Depending on where you live and if you have access to untreated areas, preferable where no wild rabbits roam, there are a lot more plants out there that are easy on the stomach and that they like. Plaintain (Plantago lanceolata), leaves of brambles, raspberry, apple, roses etc., hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium), Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) come to mind.

Actuall, they like simple grass, and if you forage a variety of stuff he will pick out what he likes and needs.

But beware, since your rabbit isn't used to that kind of greens introduce it slowly, a very few leaves the first days, slowly increasing the amount over the course of 2 weeks, if there is any sign of diarrhia reduce the ammount.

This is a great site about feeding rabbits:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articl ... or-rabbits

Btw, mine love dandelion seeds, it looks funny when they eat the fluff balls. I wouldn't feed a lot of it or only the seeds, but as part of the rest of the plants and forage, no problem.

Roo has had dandelion (he LOVES them) and other wild greens before, they've just been buried under 3-4 feet of snow for the last 6 months! Now that things are starting to grow again he'll be getting more of those instead of the store bought stuff. It will be a slow process, the leaves aren't out yet and we had a frost this morning. Thanks for the advice eveyone, the dandelions seem to be helping, fingers crossed. :lilbunny:

Latest posts

Back