A few homebred Harlequins

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really starting to love this breed too. Pretty magpies!!!

I hope you don't mind me adding some of my own homegrown magpies to your thread :D

Mine are just babies. I'm liking this little doeling, even though she lacks the face split
DSCN1001.JPG
Her from the side
DSCN1017.JPG

and again, next to another magpie kitDSCN0998.JPG

Maybe I can use this little chocolate jap bucklling to make me some chocolate magpies.

Attachments

• DSCN1008.JPG
    DSCN1008.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 1,054
Thank you! I have bred Harlequins for almost 2 years now and can't see myself specializing in anything else.

Zass, I have found Japanese to usually have better type and size than Magpies so I have bred a couple of really nice Japanese into my Mags with success. I don't have experience raising Japanese myself, but from what I have been told offspring from a Japanese x Magpie breeding should not be crossed back into Japanese. PS, your doe is cute! I kept a buck without a face split because of his size and type as well as super clean markings. Breed her to a buck with a face split or a fully colored face for best results. :)

I can just about guarantee that these will be in my rabbitry's near future. LOVE them! Beautiful buns!

So, genetically, what do you need for a magpie if I wanted to start attempting to breed for that color? I have access to a broken tri buck, and one of his sons which is a harlequinized chestnut. But those would all product the japanese coloring, correct?

AprilW":1dqlrni7 said:
Zass, I have found Japanese to usually have better type and size than Magpies so I have bred a couple of really nice Japanese into my Mags with success. I don't have experience raising Japanese myself, but from what I have been told offspring from a Japanese x Magpie breeding should not be crossed back into Japanese. PS, your doe is cute! I kept a buck without a face split because of his size and type as well as super clean markings. Breed her to a buck with a face split or a fully colored face for best results. :)

Yep, yep. My line was started breeding magpie to jap, and then jap daughters back to magpie.
When I bought them I made a promise to only sell my jap kits unpedigreed unless they were specifically for breeding magpies.

(Thanks for the breeding tips!!!!)

Heritage,
to get the magpie color in mutts or other breeds, you need agouti, chinchilla, and harlequin genes.
A_ __ cchd_ __ ej_

Working with what you have, I would breed the harlequinized chestnut (to keep broken pattern away)
to your chinchilla doe. If you get a harlequinized chinchilla doeling, breed it back to the father. If you get only harlequinized chestnuts, breed siblings together for a chance at magpie colored kits.

Some would frown on the inbreeding, but I think it's a great way to know if they are carrying recessive genetic problems.

Please don't call them harlequins or magpie harlequins though.
They are bound to be to be carrying a lot of modifiers that would harm the color and marks if bred into purebred lines.

Zass":jft5d3qi said:
AprilW":jft5d3qi said:

Yep, yep. My line was started breeding magpie to jap, and then jap daughters back to magpie.
When I bought them I made a promise to only sell my jap kits unpedigreed unless they were specifically for breeding magpies.

(Thanks for the breeding tips!!!!)

To get the magpie color in mutts or other breeds, you need agouti, chinchilla, and harlequin genes.
A_ __ cchd_ __ ej_
I need to see what agouti is for sure... one of those things I have seen numerous times, but can't remember off the top of my head...

I have:

Chinchillas (one, I have been told, has double chin genes?... 3 total - 2 does and a buck plus 5 kits growing out) - one kit is a steel
NZWs
Creme d'Argent
Harlequinized chestnut

__________ Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:16 pm __________

OK, so looking up agouti, the harlie chestnut would count, right? So technically I have all I need in house? Sounds like a fun project!

Back