6 week old holland lop!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopLionheadLady

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am planning on purchasing this buck for breeding due to his great head and body! I am very stumped on his color! Looks like a darker colored sable but pls let me know what you think about what his color could be! Also, why are his ears so long? He has a great head,
it is surprising he does not have small ears!
Haley!

-- Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 am --

Here are some pics!

Attachments

• IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 528
The color would be sable point

Because it's so dark, it's actually probably a seal point or sallander, but holland lops only accept sable point and are rather lenient with color, so I would just call it a sable point.

The ears could be long for many reasons. It could just be age (sometimes it take a bit for their growth to catch up with their ears), genetics (some lines just don't have as good of ear length as others) or he could be a false dwarf. In which case, you would have to watch his weight, they're prone to going over the limit. It can be hard to tell at this age, unless you know the lines - having siblings to compare to is nice as well. If his ears are noticeably longer than his siblings, I would guess that he was a false dwarf. (If all the siblings have long ears, it could be that they're all false dwarfs)

Did the breeder send you a posed picture of it? It's really too young to judge type in my opinion, at this age, but even so you would only be able to try to judge body off of a posed picture. Holland lops are pretty common, and change so much as they grow that I do generally recommend buying senior animals for breeding unless you are very familiar with the lines and breed.

Back