31 days and counting.... false or real?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liesl

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just joined RT so very new and not sure how to post a new topic... even after reading the FAQ.... :oops: I have two 7 month old JW rabbits. They live together in their outside run along with our guinea pig. I then noticed that Bun Bun (male) and Bonnie (female) were being very romantic and literally "doing it like rabbits". I researched and read every bit of information I could get my hands on. I moved her into a hutch inside with us where she is away from Bun bun and warm and cozy. I have put a nest box in however she seems to think I have supplied her with a private bathroom... I keep cleaning it out and she keeps doing it. she has played around with the straw a lot, not massive mouthfuls but always moving around pieces. She has pulled out random pieces of hair but nothing really to shock me into thinking its an actual nest coming together. She also seems to be doing it all over her hutch and not in one place. She is 31 days today and no sign of babies. I tried to feel if I could feel anything in her tummy last night but she was not impressed and let me know all about it when she bit me... I don't know if she is or isn't pregnant and if I should just put her back outside with her buddies. The little while i was holding her i didn't really feel anything in her tummy but i don't really know what I am feeling for and I don't want to hurt her or any potential kits. She is extremely fluffy and with her being so agitated i didn't go digging to see her nipples but they def feel bigger in my hand. She has put on weight but that could also be because she is not in the run and she is by herself so no sharing food.... Any advice here. I know rabbits can go longer than 31 days but i heard with the smaller breeds its unlikely....

She sounds like she could be pregnant. Any sign of carrying hay, pulling fur, digging and nesting is good. You won't be able to feel much at this stage, other than that her belly should be firm. Putting a small amount of weight can indicate pregnancy. Try watching her sides for kits kicking. gentle rolling is the digestion, sharp jerks are kits. It might be hard to see if she is very fluffy.

About the time, she could very well still kindle. I have small breeds(3-4 pounds) and they only kindle on day 33 or 34. I would keep her box ready. If she continually pees and poops in it try moving it to a different spot of the cage. Keep the hay clean. At first she might seem to make a mess but most eventually get it right. Most rabbits also give birth at night, or when completely alone. They don't like disturbances.

if she gets to 35 days and she still hasn't given birth she probably isn't pregnant. Or, if you know she's pregnant and she doesn't kindle by day 35, try feeding her a couple lavender buds. Don't feed these unless she is that overdue.

So day 32 now and still nothing. This morning she was sort of jumping up and pushing hard with her front legs at the straw in the corner... I don't know... this is one confusing little bunny! I tried feeling again last night but don't feel anything again... but I am super gentle so that could be the problem. I cant see movements because she is just way too fluffy so also cant see her nipples.

Welcome!
Just leave the nest box for her a couple more days....
Usually my girls aren't eating so well the day of .... and they do not always have a nest ready... they do tend to look a little more round than normal, but if you rabbit is "fluffy" I'm not sure it would be as visible.
good luck
Keep us posted.

My oldest Red New Zealand doe 3 years old. Was at day 34 when i noticed a leg protruding from her vent. I pulled out a very large dead kit. Took her to the vet for x-ray. No more kits. She has had 4 litters for me so far. Smallest was six kits largest was 9 kits. Giving her some time before i re breed her.

Hi guys. Well nothing.... I put her back in the run with her man and they went straight to making babies. Saw him fall off a few times. Not sure what went wrong this last time but no babies from her....

Latest posts

Back