3 nest boxes...and they all chose the same one

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
:x
I was away for a couple of days, and this morning when I checked in the colony, 2 of the girls were sort of gathering bits of hay, a little loose fur..making a nest in the big tub. No hurry...la la la da laa... So, I figured it's time to put the regular type nest boxes in (2) and go out and make the long boxes I'd planned on. They hopped into the nest boxes, but didn't seem particularly interested.

I went out to the shop and made up a long tunnel box. Grabbed 2 flakes of straw, and went upstairs with it all. When I opened the door to the colony I was mobbed. All three girls were just "get us OUT OF HERE" for some reason (which I think I figured out...more later) I put the box in the corner, and put the straw around on the floor.

HOLY STRAW BONES!
It was bedlam in there! All three does started running in and out of the tunnel, digginmg around inside, then running outside to grab up HUGE mouths-full of straw and taking them back in the tunnel. :p

This went on for awhile until they pretty much had all the straw distributed nicely around the colony and almost half of it inside the tunnel :roll:

The regular nest box is totally empty, and the tub has a nice hay/fur nest in it...but apparently, EVERYONE likes the tunnel. Fortunately Mike is bringing home another tunnel box to replace the regular nest box. Maybe 1 of the does will take the hint.

I could see Chocolate Bunny and FLB sharing again..but THREE? That's probably 1 mommy too many. Although...there was no pushing or shoving or irritation while they were filling it up. :shrug: I'm thinking the lack of hay scraps, etc. is why they were so anxious to get out of the colony..so they could find something to nest with.

they're not due for another week, so we have some time yet. I think.<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:29 pm __________<br /><br />Oh PIFFLE! I miscounted weeks. They're due THIS WEEK. As in...today is day 29! :wall:

Someone just SHOOT ME!

The change in Chocolate Bunny is amazing. She's back to being this sweet nice rabbit. Comes over to the door, let's me touch her without growling or going for a finger :roll: Sure hope this continues. Fat Little Bunny is being nice and sweet, too. Vienna is being...Vienna. Just sort of mellow. She kind of reminds me of a hippie.."hey, dude! What's up? Got some grass?" :lol:

Wow, Ann... your bunnies sure are interesting!

Seems to me they have bonded so closely that they want to share the nesting site... As long as there is enough room for all, I'd be inclined not to interfere... just give them the extra tunnel and LOTS of straw and let them go to it. :)

Picture coming up! Notice the nest along the back wall is full of straw (nice little nest back at the other end..I peeked in) and the other, while it has a bunny in it (the young doe) has NO straw :( ah well. With three mommies the buns should be fat little critters.

Attachments

• nest_tunnels.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 1,955
After going back over my pathetic notes AGAIN, I may have been right the first time. Looks like I PLANNED on putting Chuck in with the girls on the 19th, but ended up waiting because we'd be gone over the weekend. He was definitely in with them on March 28th, because I have pictures and there is a post about him being in with them.

GAH! My record keeping sucks big time. At least this year I remembered to write down when I put the eggs in the incubators.<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:23 am __________<br /><br />No popples yet. :( Yesterday the ladies were just laying around all day, kind of panting. No real activity going on...so I got my hopes up. This morning there was more activity, as in running around more. CB has been going in and out of the nest tunnel..nothing in her mouth, but she sort of...checks it.

Vienna feels heavy, so I have HIGH hopes for her and a litter. FLB is also heavier than normal..but not enormous. CB...I'm guessing a small litter there.

let's see....6 for Vienna, 4 for FLB, 4 for CB. There. That's my guess :D

colors....hmmm..... FLB will have all black. CB will have 1 black, 1 chocolate, 2 white. Vienna...oh brother..um...2 torte, 1 Himy, 2 black and 1 STRANGE. :D

(now watch. It will either be 18 bunnies, all black :( or 3, all white)

:D

I'm thinking that out of this batch of popples (if we have any at all) I'd liketo keep one male and neuter him. Nice wooler, who can live with Chuck. Chuck is just so MISERABLE alone in his cage now :( poor baby.

I figure, since everything we hatch or birth this year so far has had 90% male, I should have plenty of boys to choose from :D

Speaking of miserable...Poor little NZ girl that we kept out....she's just sitting in the back sulking since her siblings went off to camp. She DID drink water, and eat the greens I put in for her, so she'll get over the sulks, but my goodness sh looks sad. I'd pick her up and comfort her, but my life insurance isn't paid up. :x

Poor little girl...

Now that I think about it, I usually save two little does if I save any... and house them together for a few months. Alice's two from last summer are still together, but due for separation as soon as I send Polly to camp and have a cage free. I'll make sure they are next to each other to prevent that kind of a situation from arising.

Rabbits are world-class at grudge-holding, snits and sulks! Sigh.

Back