2 new bunnies wet noses eye discharge should i be worried?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up 2 Holland lop babies last night. Noses were wet (clear) the breeder said it was nothing except difference in temps.
Today both have eye discharge. One more so than the other. Eye discharge is white dries almost yellowish. Noses aren't as wet as last night and still clear. No sneezing that ive heard

Should i be worried? Breeder offered to take them back and refund. Drove 2 hours each way for them so i really wanted them :(

-- Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:24 pm --

I asked if i could have a day or 2 to see how it goes. She said basically she would want them today. So i need opinions and fast.. pics coming..

Wet nose

Last night their noses were way wetter. Eyes last night were clear but this morning they are goopy.

Opinions please

Just from my personal experience, but my lops do this around this time of the year because of allergies. With those big boxy heads they are more prone to have allergies than other rabbits, and moving stress can cause it too. That doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't be worried, but I wouldn't panic yet. Ask the breeder if they are willing to give you more time to observe them to see if they get worse. The day after bringing them home sounds too soon to make a decision on if they are truly sick. My lops came From a different state north of me and I'm in some of the worst allergy areas so they had their allergy problems for a week before it started clearing up. I think asking for more time to observe them is what needs to be done right now. Just my experiences though. Maybe another member will chime in with other suggestions too :good-luck:

I know nothing about lops and any particular allergy problems they may be prone to, but if I had rabbits exhibiting those symptoms, I would be concerned. At the very least I would strictly quarantine them.

I know you really want them and that you had a long drive to get them, but how much money do you have tied up in them? Is it worth it to return them or will all that gas money take a big bite out of what you paid? The way I see it, if you stand to lose a lot of money by keeping them and perhaps having to cull them, I'd return them. If you can stand the loss without pain and you really want them, I'd quarantine and be prepared to write off the cost if it goes bad.

If you decide to return them. perhaps the breeder would meet you part way. Worth asking, in any case.

From what you decribed as long as you quarantine em at least a month I'd keep em. The discharges seem minor from the pictures and I dont think its too worrying

Well i told the breeder if she is confidant they are fine then we will keep them. But as for price they were 80 each and it cost 30 in gas. Still no sneezing so maybe they are fine. im just super freaked out about snuffles. Especially since ive read so many stories from this site..

We definitely have then quarantined. Very important since we have a litter of almost 4 wk old nethies and i dont want to chance any of our bunnies catching anything. They arent near eachother and we've been washing hands and changing clothes too.

I have never had any prone to allergies, even my first ones. The only rabbits I've had with "allergies" was Mini Rex from questionable heritage which I promptly got rid of. Allergies (if that's what it is) you do not want in any breeding program any way and individuals showing signs of such should be removed by one means or another. You want strong stock, not some that already have a compromised system.

Weepy eyes can be a lot of different things, have you took a warm cloth and cleaned each to make sure a tear duct isn't plugged or hair is turned inward irritating the eye? I cannot see the pictures, but if its more then just from dust in the come home box/carrier or shavings irritation I would not hesitate to take back. It shouldn't last more then a few days if that's the case. There are too many healthy ones to risk it. If you are set on rabbits from them, see if there are replacements available without the same issues from a different breeding preferably.

Just giveem a bit of time, my adorable Nikita often has one of her eyes getting the same tiny bit of discharge and its just cause her super long fur got in her eye. I'd worry if you see a lot more wet discharge where the eyes start getting stuck shut and so on. Also watch for sneezes but if its right after drinking or eating some dust might just have irritated their noses. Also if you're using bowls for their water and they were used to bottles they could get wet noses just cause they arent used to drinking without drowning themselves.
Points at Chichi who just rams the waterfall of water when I fill her bowl cause she wants water and then sneezes like mad cause it got in her nose XD

Just a quick update. There have been absolutely no sneezing. The does nose is dry. It seems the bucks gets wet when hes nervous. The eye discharge is way less. So i think i could have freaked out for nothing. But all the stories of snuffles has me paranoid LOL
But they are still under strict quarantine!!!! <br /><br /> -- Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 am -- <br /><br /> PS
What happened to my pics? Weird...

ipoGSD":2lvmdfqp said:
Just a quick update. There have been absolutely no sneezing. The does nose is dry. It seems the bucks gets wet when hes nervous. The eye discharge is way less. So i think i could have freaked out for nothing. But all the stories of snuffles has me paranoid LOL
But they are still under strict quarantine!!!!

-- Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 am --

PS
What happened to my pics? Weird...
Sounds good, glad it was a false allarm ^^
My friend had a snuffles epidemia after a new bunny came in and wasnt quarantined proper and we spent months clearing the issue out of her herd so I totally understand your worry.

Absolutely yes, strict quarantine. So many horror stories has me paranoid LOL

But they are doing amazing!!! We love them so much, they are so fluffy/chunky, we cant get enough of them!!!! We love their feet!!!!! They are so poofy!!!!! Hehehe

Back