2 does dead trying to find a posible reason

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailonwolf

Reaction score
hi i had 4 buns 2 full mini rex 2 half american lop half mini rex they are pets but spend time outside every day sadly one of my females got a upset tummy the otherday and got dehydrated i got her to drink a decent bit and vet said she just had a upset stomach from what they could find gave her fluids and sent her home she started getting solid poops and eating and drinking fine but still passed away the next day and today i let my dogs out this morning and put buns in there outside cages the weather is pretty about 50-60ish but after i went inside i decided to check on bottels and such a few minutes ago(still had clean water) and my other doe was gone! no sighn of any preditor on her but she is just dead what can cause this and how can i protect my two bucks from this happening ages are unknown i was told the two does were about 3 years old and the bucks are supposed to be 1 and 2 but i have evidence of this all sugestions welcome i live in mississippi usa and have had the buns about 4-5 months they spend 99% of the time outside but come in at night or when it's super cold or hot and eat 16% nutrina rabbit pellits and always have hay and chewie treats

There are lots of possibilities

If they were having diarrhea I suspect the toxins from bacteria (such as clostridium) overgrowth could have caused a system failure

Can you perform a necropsy to see if there are any clues on their organs ?

What Dood says makes sense, but as she points out there are lots of possibilities. Let's try to at least rule out a few of them . . .

Are you sure the two rabbits died of the same ailment? Did the second one have the same symptoms as the first.

Do the rabbits have access to the ground or anything that might be growing in the yard?

Are there neighbourhood kids around who might be "helping" by feeding the rabbits when your back is turned?

Are there any animals about that may have scared the second doe into bashing herself on the wire or perhaps having heart failure. It's not impossible.

Is their hay fresh and sweet-smelling? Any sign of mould (mold), dustiness or odd plants included in it?

Just some random thoughts . . . I don't know that it will help at all, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to list them. Hope you get some firm answers.

the first bun had upset tummy 2nd bun didn't and showed no symptoms i do still have both bodies i froze them to see if i could find out no access to dirt on the ground or yard no kids could get to them there inside a locked privacy fence i doubt anyone even knows i have them and there hay is about 2-3 weeks old i keep it in my garage dry but it still smells good to mei know they were in bad shape when i got them but had been looking really good for the last few months i checked on my bucks today they are still acting normal eating and drinking and such i did see a bunch of acorns in one of the does cage this morning i am not sure she ate them or is a squirrel dropped them in there they are half eaten but i also have them all over the yard like that

if it is a toxicity or a bacteria what can i do to help them i really don't want to lose my bucks and my vet doesn't know a whole lot about rabbits

A splendid idea I learned from Maggie concerning unknown foods was to google "toxicity <food> rabbits", where you substitute the food in question in the search. It works better if you use the scientific names for the food in question, but often the common names will work as well. I just googled "toxicity acorn rabbits" and the list was full of essentially the same info. Acorns are very toxic to rabbits. If you found eaten acorns in the cage, it looks likely that they were poisoned by them. It sounds reasonable that the diarrhea that the one doe had earlier was her initial response to small amounts of the acorns. I strongly suggest you find a way to prevent them from getting in the other cages.

tailonwolf you need to stop the acorns from getting to your rabbits at once! They are toxic as well as the rest of an oak tree. Put some 1/4" hardware cloth around the outside if your wire and hold it on firmly with nylon zip ties.

Dupont%20Wire%20-%20Re-galvanized%20hardware%20cloth%20%201_4%20x%201_4%20%2022gauge.jpg

tie-wrap.jpg

Latest posts

Back