180 cages waste management

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsfarm

Reaction score
So we are planing a expansion of 180 cages and we are worrying about the waste management the area is not concrete its dirt and outdoors. Would there a lot of issues with the urine being too much and the area getting muddy? what are some of the solutions and options i have.

I have upwards of 90 holes now, and it isn't a problem. I sprinkle agricultural lime and food grade diatomaceous earth under the cages to help with odor and insects and rake the waste up regularly.

if the cages are outside, urine is easily managed as mentioned above, but-- if the cages are indoors and concentrated, , a more aggressive waste management and ventilation system maybe be considered, excess ammonia in the environment causes respiratory inflammation, and that is a breeding ground for disease

The best waste management is a healthy organic garden. I've piled bunny berries as deep as six inches around my plants with no problems. Excellant combination of mulch and fertilizer.

It all depends on your drainage, and the makeup of your dirt.

If your rabbitry drains well, that will help immensely. If, when it rains, water runs through the rabbitry, then it will get muddy. I had to install garden edging around most of our rabbitry, because water was running through it.

If you have a lot of sand in your dirt, that will help keep things dry. We have a lot of clay, which keeps the moisture in. We put pine shavings about 4" - 6" deep on the floor, which helps dry things out. We also have chickens with free access to the rabbitry, and they keep everything turned, which helps keep it dry, as well. They also keep the insects down big time!

Of course, without chickens, you can put shavings only under the cages. With chickens, you have to put it in the whole floor area, because the chickens will have it everywhere in short order anyway. :)

Chickens do love to scratch. The Choctaw word for chicken translates into."Kicking bird".

Show us pictures!!!! What breeds????

We "only" have five 3-hole stacks (15 cages) so it will be cool to see what 180 (or anything over 50) look like.

Oh, should I say we live in a small subdivision in the city with a two car garage that holds all these cages..... along with our 2 cars. :lol:

hoodat":cdcbkyb3 said:
Chickens do love to scratch. The Choctaw word for chicken translates into."Kicking bird".
Are you ever not kidding! I regularly end up with my shoes full of ...um... composted rabbit and chicken by-products. :roll:

I'm starting out small and I mean small just a pair. If all goes well then next Spring I'll add some more. With that said, I too was course about the waste. If the waste was directed into a sand trap, would that keep down the smell?

DSCF1846 (450x240).jpg

This is a pic of the soon to be rabbit shed. The left side can hold up to 24: 24"x24"x36" cages. Same with the right. The floor is grass and dirt. What are yall's thoughts? :D

wamplercathy":21edf0el said:
I'm starting out small and I mean small just a pair. If all goes well then next Spring I'll add some more. With that said, I too was course about the waste. If the waste was directed into a sand trap, would that keep down the smell?

This is a pic of the soon to be rabbit shed. The left side can hold up to 24: 24"x24"x36" cages. Same with the right. The floor is grass and dirt. What are yall's thoughts? :D

No.... I'm not jealous at all.......... No, not at all!!! :twisted: :twisted:

If you have a way for the solids to be moved down to a collection area and you allow the liquids to drop to the grass/dirt then you should be good. I think the main problem is when the berries and the urine mix and stagnate.

No.... I'm not jealous at all.......... No, not at all!!! :twisted: :twisted:[/quote]

It's going to take a few months before it is ready though. I hate budgets. :x

Latest posts

Back