1/2 x 1/2 in 16 gauge versus 1/2 x 1 in 14 gauge?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmorgens

Reaction score
I have a cage that has a .5x.5 bottom and all the rabbit waste goes through nicely and seems to be much easier on the rabbit feet than the .5 x 1 . However, I can only find the .5x.5 in 16 gauge..

My question is whether or not the .5 x .5 in 16 gauge is as sturdy as the .5 x 1 in 14 gauge... By itself, 14 gauge is sturdier, BUT on a .5 x .5 there is more wire per inch, so that may make it just as or even sturdier...

Does anyone have experience with this?.. If is is in fact just as sturdy, I think I am going to go ahead and order the .5 x .5. both come in GAW... Thanks!

I made my hutch out of the 16 gauge. I am going to redo the whole thing. After a Minnesota winter with the buns in it, it got pretty much destroyed. The thin wire just doesn't handle big bunnies. So if you have smaller rabbits it might work, and the 16 gauge worked good with the grow outs, but none of them weighed over 6 lbs. the 12, 14, and 16+ lb rabbits did awful on it. Well, THEY didn't do awful, the wire just started separating and pulling away from the sides. It also bowed down under their weight.

I'd get the 1/2x 1. The side with 1/2 inch gaps should go up, so the top side of the wire still has 1/2 inch gaps, like it would with 1/2 x 1/2 wire

The lower the # for the gauge the thicker the wire....

I am going to go on a search for some 12g. wire to build some new growout cages (they look like they are made from 16g and in rough shape!)
I would like to get 0.5x1 for the floor and 1x1 for the walls and top....

I will compromise and use 14g for the walls if I have to, but I think 12g is a must on the floor

Latest posts

Back